Weekly VIX Options

According to the Bloomberg report CBOE will start trading weekly options on the VIX. I was very excited about the news until I found the details on CBOE website here:
  • The options will trade on CFE, not CBOE
  • The options are American-style, exercised into near-term futures
  • Expire on Fridays, not Wednesdays
I think these points create unnecessary complexity, and I doubt the contracts will attract significant volume. This is very unfortunate, as I think short-term VIX plays could provide really interesting trading opportunities if the weekly options were the same as regular ones in terms of exercise and trading platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weekly market report

Wall st delivered a mixed bag of news with VIX, VNKY, and VSTOXX and their underlying markets almost unchanged. VXD - volatility index based...